- Senior Associate Attorney
Chase Ruddy is a senior associate attorney of Sapone & Petrillo, LLP, with nine years' experience in federal and state criminal defense and white collar litigation. He has been recognized as one of the top young criminal defense attorneys in New York. Mr. Ruddy was selected to America’s Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys® for 2020, recognizing the nation’s most exceptional White-Collar and General Criminal Defense Attorneys. Mr. Ruddy has also been recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star each year from 2017 - 2020. This distinction is based off of peer recognition and professional achievement in legal practice, and is awarded to only a small number of attorneys in each state.
Mr. Ruddy routinely appears for the Firm on cases in the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey, as well as the Criminal and Supreme Courts of the City and State of New York. He has been admitted pro hac vice in support of the Firm's cases in District Courts across the country, and has been appointed pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act to assist the Firm in giving back to those of its clients who cannot afford the Firm's services. He conducts research on important substantive areas of criminal law and has prepared winning motions at all stages of litigation in state and federal district court. Mr. Ruddy handles the Firm's case development, working closely with clients to build a defense and prepare for litigation and trial. He also contributes to the Firm's state and federal appellate practice.
Mr. Ruddy received his Bachelor of Arts degree magna cum laude from Boston College and his Juris Doctor degree with honors from The George Washington University Law School, where he was a member of the George Washington International Law Review, the Mock Trial Board and the Alternative Dispute Resolution Board. He also served as a teaching assistant for first year civil procedure students and attended the George Washington University - Oxford University Program in International Human Rights Law at New College, Oxford, UK. While a law student, Mr. Ruddy worked as an extern for the Civil Litigation Division of the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, he contributed to a book on the First Amendment regulatory framework in public schools and served as a research assistant and Rapporteur for a Declaration on Human Rights and the Environment produced by the United Nations Environment Programme.
Mr. Ruddy has routinely been recognized by the Firm's clients for the integral role he has played in contributing to the success of their cases:
"Chase is an extremely approachable and intelligent attorney who always made himself available to speak with me about my case. Chase was my first point of contact at a law firm after a series of unfortunate circumstances led to my arrest, and I was scared, unsure of the next steps, and worried about the outcome. Chase was reassuring and confident without sugarcoating anything. He easily outlined exactly what needed to be done in terms I understood. After our meeting, I knew I had come to the right place, and I am grateful for all of his assistance (and all of my constant emails he always answered!) during my case."
"Ed Sapone is an ethical, conscientious, caring human being who applies these qualities to his practice of law. He is an expert in his field with a heart. He patiently answers any question and is available to lend a sympathetic ear. His associate Chase Ruddy is of similar character and I am very grateful to have had them help my family and me through the most difficult ordeal of my life."
"After the initial contact with Mr. Sapone, he easily distinguished himself from the previous lawyers I spoke with. He was very professional, knowledgeable and compassionate. Along with his strong staff (Chase and Delia), I was informed throughout the process. I always was able to contact someone in a short time which is a huge relief when dealing with these situations."
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: Mock Trial Board, Member
- Honors: Alternative Dispute Resolution Board, Member
- Honors: Teaching Assistant for first year civil procedure students
- Honors: Attended the George Washington University – Oxford University Program in International Human Rights Law at New College, Oxford, UK
- Honors: With Honors
- Boston College
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Civil Litigation Division of the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, Extern
- Declaration on Human Rights and the Environment produced by the United Nations Environment Programme, Research Assistant and Rapporteur
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey Bar Association, Member
- New York Criminal Bar Association, Member
- New York County Lawyers’ Association, Member
- Superlawyers Rising Star 2017 - 2020
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Criminal Defense
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey