Whether you have a small business in New York or are an executive in a large corporation, the world of finance is complex, and missteps can be devastating. Unless you are a finance expert, small decisions that seem inconsequential at the time can result in an illegal action. At Sapone & Petrillo, LLP, our experienced attorneys often defend clients from embezzlement charges.
According to Entrepreneur Resources, mishandling corporate funds is incredibly easy. Even if you are a finance-savvy entrepreneur, you can stumble, accidentally committing fraud and opening yourself up to a lawsuit. Unfortunately, it is not only your mistakes that can drastically affect the company. Sometimes, an error by those working for you can result in embezzlement or fraud.
- Giving a gift to an employee or another business owner/director may be misconstrued as a bribe, under specific circumstances.
- Misusing a company credit card by purchasing something for yourself, unrelated to the business, is embezzlement.
- Your attorney improperly registering a trade falls under trade fraud.
- Claiming the full mortgage amount as a business expense if you work from home is tax fraud.
- Telling friends or family about how well your company is doing before releasing the news to the public is insider trading.
Showing a lack of malicious intent is often a valid defense against embezzlement and fraud charges. However, proving this is expensive and stressful. Even if cleared of wrongdoing, the fallout can affect your business for years. Having the right people help you is critical to getting your life and company back on track. Visit our webpage for more information on this topic.